Monday, December 21, 2009

A Fine Winter Hat

It isn't so surprising to get compliments from friends and relatives, but, when complete strangers take note and actually make a point to walk up to a person and pay a compliment, even if it is only for a hat, that is very special.

From the first time I saw it at a hotel boutique in NYC, I loved this hat and what's more--it fit my head! I have a big head and very thick hair, so when I try on hats, 99% just sit atop my head. I didn't know what to call it, so looked it up. Wikepedia lists about a hundred different kinds of hats. My $40 one-of-a-kind find is a green and pink, small brim variation of the "Gatsby" or "newsboy" hat with colorful floral cloth remnants and some shiny sequins appliquéd all over the front.

At this point in my life (and I only will admit to being 59), I don't get many compliments. This is mostly because, being retired, I don't do much that is noteworthy and most days I no longer fuss with my appearance. Usually, I just blend into the background and wear a hat to keep my head warm. However, ever since I put it on, there hasn't been a day go by without at least one person (and often more) coming up to me and complimenting the hat!

I'm astonished every time it happens. I've never owned anything in my life that engendered so many compliments. Most of these compliments are by other women, but there have also been "looks" from some men that I couldn't otherwise explain! This morning, it was a mom and her tweenage son. Go figure! This afternoon, as I left Starbucks with my coffee, there was a middle aged gentleman sitting on a bench outside with an unlit cigarette in his hand. As I approached, he asked me if I had a match...I shook my head and said no. Then he asked if I had a lighter; I explained that I no longer smoked. He thanked me anyway and called me a "beautiful lady", giving me "the look" and a smile in the process. Goodness gracious! It's been years!

Well, he may have said it out of habit, or because he's near-sighted, or maybe he'd had a few drinks. But I think it was the hat. He, and the hat, made my day! I wonder what tomorrow might bring? I know I'll wear the hat and I might just fuss with my appearance a bit.

No comments: